Welcome to CCMS Choir!
Welcome to Voicestra Choir! I am looking forward to an exciting, musical year. In order for our choir to sound its best, each of us needs to contribute to the best of our ability. The goals, expectations, and procedures outlined below will allow us to reach our fullest potential as a performing ensemble.
The goal of the choral program is to produce students who are knowledgeable about music, have developed listening skills, can perform successfully with confidence, and can operate and cooperate within a structured framework. Students are not expected to become virtuoso musicians. Students are expected to establish both short and long range goals for vocal improvement, and to develop the skills and tools necessary to become life-long independent musicians and learners. In choir, students gain knowledge and skills in proper vocal technique, unison and two, three, or four-part singing, music reading, notation, terminology, ear training, critical analysis, and music history. Students perform a varied repertoire of music in different languages, cultures, and stylistic periods. For further information, please see the California State Music Content Standards here.Participation:
Singing is a skill. Skills need to be practiced to improve. Singers at CCMS are musicians. Like any skill, it becomes more fun the more you practice! You are members of a musical TEAM that requires 100% participation.
- Students are expected to be in class every day, on time. By the time the bell rings, students will be seated with their folder and a pencil.
- Students will maintain a positive attitude at all times, to themselves, each other, and the director. Encourage one another!
- Always follow along during rehearsal and mark your own music quickly.
- Listen attentively, even when your section is not singing. Follow along in your own music, to improve your music-reading skills.
- Students are expected to work to master the singing skills required, and ask for help when needed.
- Maintain vocal health: drink lots of water, and avoid shouting or excessively loud talking.
- Students will keep track of performance dates and attend all concerts.
Please mark your calendar for the 2017-2018 Concerts:
Winter Concert: Wednesday, December 13th 7:00 pm Vet’s Auditorium
District-Wide Concert: Thursday, February 15th 6:30 pm Vet’s Auditorium
Spring Concert: Wednesday, May 23rd 7:00 pm Vet’s Auditorium
It is my goal to excite all students about music and singing, and to provide them with meaningful music instruction in a positive, supportive learning environment. If you have any questions about the class or your child’s progress, please contact me at (310) 842-4200, ext. 5001, or email@example.com, and I will be happy to meet with you. I very much look forward to working with all of you this year!
Ms. Danielle Koplinka-Loehr, Choir Director