According to Culver City Unified School District’s Board Policy, students may participate in Independent Study P.E in certain highly exceptional cases. Students in middle school or high school participating in “demanding, regular, out-of-school elite physical activity” (AR 6158.1) may petition to be excused from the required physical education courses and satisfy his/her physical education requirement through a P.E. Independent Study.
PDFs of the Independent P.E. application and activity log can be found below.
Applications must satisfy the following criteria:
- The activity is significantly different or of a level that is not available in the school program.
- Student must provide official documentation of ranking at regional, state, national, or international level. (A major factor in determining acceptance or rejection of this request will be the difference between a recreational and a competitive program.)
- Student must participate in no fewer than 10 hours of documented instructional time a week, Monday through Friday.
- The Independent Study P.E does not conflict with the student’s schedule of school classes and is consistent with the school’s P.E curriculum and the CA State P.E Framework.
- If student is in 7th grade, student will participate in the FITNESSGRAM at the school site with their designated P.E teacher.
- The Independent P.E program is conducted under the direct supervision of a credentialed or otherwise qualified instructor.
- Students granted Independent P.E must maintain a 2.0 GPA.
The completed application is due by 4:00 PM on Friday, September 4, 2020.
Due to distance learning, completed applications should be emailed to Julie Markussen, Assistant Principal, at email@example.com