Please complete and return the Independent Study PE application to the main office by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday September 3rd, 2019.
According to Culver City Unified School District’s Board Policy, students may participate in Independent Study PE in certain highly exceptional cases. Students in middle school or high school participating in “demanding, regular, out-of school elite physical activity” (AR 6158.1) may petition to be excused from the required physical education courses and satisfy his/her physical education requirement through a PE Independent Study.
- The activity is significantly different or of a level that is not available in the school program.
- Student must provide official documentation of ranking at regional, state, national, or international level. (A major factor in determining acceptance or rejection of this request will be the difference between a recreational and a competitive program.)
- Student must participate in no less than 10 hours of documented instructional time a week, Monday through Friday.
- The Independent Study PE does not conflict with the student’s schedule of school classes and is consistent with the school’s PE curriculum and the CA State PE Framework.
- If student is in 7th or 9th grade, student will participate in the FITNESSGRAM at the school site with their designated PE teacher.
- The Independent PE program is conducted under the direct supervision of a credentialed or otherwise qualified instructor.
Note: Application is an annual process. Late and mid-year applications will not be accepted.